Music and love have a strong connection that transcends time and culture. I believe this connection is based on the emotional and expressive qualities of both music and love. So many songs are written about love. So many of our most romantic moments took place with some sort of music in the background forever connecting that song to that moment. Listening to only a few bars can stir the same memories and emotions, it’s amazing!
That is what made this piece so special. Music had a significant role to play in this young couple’s origin story. More specifically, it was a musical instrument, a guitar. So, when this client approached me to help him design, and craft, a custom diamond engagement ring that incorporated guitar picks I immediately understood the significance of his request. However, I also recognized the challenge and need to avoid doing anything too “obvious”. Like the soundtrack to their love the guitar picks had to be present but subtle and in the background. An ever-present yet hidden reminder of how it all began.
“Hi Jeff! Great news! We are now happily engaged! I moved up the date to this past Thursday – I was too excited and couldn’t wait LOL. She absolutely LOVES the ring!!! Thank you very much for the help and we’ll definitely be in touch for wedding bands!”
One of the greatest things about being a custom jeweler is getting to hear a young couple’s romantic origin story. Infusing a new design with elements of that story and then crafting a piece of jewelry that is the perfect balance of their narrative and aesthetics gives my job so much meaning and significance, I love it.
If you have never had a piece of custom jewelry designed and made for you there are a few things to consider when finding the right person for the task.
- You’ll want an independent jewelry designer/goldsmith, or jewelry artist. Retail jewelers will often advertise that they “do custom” but what they really do is assemble mass produced, factory made, parts and call it custom jewelry. An independent designer/goldsmith or jewelry artist will start from scratch and work with you to design and make your ring.
- If you want something unique that tells your story you’ll need to find someone creative to assist you. You have to be careful though because there is a fine line between art and skillfully made artful fine jewelry. All jewelry is not created equal. What you need is someone who is a master of their craft and can bring your design to life in a thoughtful and lasting way while still keeping the emphasis on craftsmanship.
- Although it is always better to support a local artist, the internet has made it possible for you to easily collaborate with an independent local goldsmith from almost anywhere on earth. Whether they are local to you or local to somebody else they are still not a large corporation. Your money will directly support this person, their family, and their community.
- Attention to detail: A jewelry artist will pay close attention to every detail of the design and creation process, ensuring that the final product is of the highest quality. Retail jewelry stores may not have the same level of attention to detail.
- The importance of sustainability and ecological responsibility cannot be overstated. You should ask to confirm however, most independent goldsmiths will privilege sustainability, ethically sourced materials, and carbon-sensitive equipment and processes.
At Dimples, We have been designing and hand crafting personalized and artful custom fine jewelry since 2006. If you have any questions about this post, or about anything else for the matter, please feel free to reach out. You can email email@example.com, call 1-844-852-5802 toll free in the US and Canada, or text 905-852-2050.